Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Growing Peas on a Bamboo Trellis

 The veggie garden is starting to fill out & I'm always learning new things about how to grow things.

Last year we grew sweet peas in front of the lattice panels we installed but I had to tie them up. I guess the little tendrils of the peas didn't like the larger size of the lattice slats.

This year, I'm growing sugar peas, shelling peas & the sweet peas again, but have decided to try using a bamboo trellis to get the peas to twine up & around something a little smaller.

I pushed the bamboo stakes (which around about 7 or 8 feet long) into the garden soil at an angle & made a weave fence that supports itself & should be strong enough to hold all the peas (& now pickling cucumbers I just seeded).

I'm curious to see which of the vertical growing supports the peas will choose this year.

Things are still slow to take off with the peas and I'm sure once they do, we'll be eating peas almost non-stop for a few weeks.

The dog will be so happy to have peas again!

I can't wait to see what this area will look like in a month.

No comments: