Sunday, April 9, 2017

First Harvest of the Season

 Late last summer I planted a few things to overwinter & managed - with the winter we had - to keep 2 kale plants alive.

We've been nibbling on the leaves for a few weeks now & they are so sweet & tender! Great for a change in salads, especially since it is difficult to find lettuce in the grocery stores lately due to weather issues where they grow.

This morning I decided it was time to harvest
& save some of this bounty for future meals. Also a chance to open up the plants & let in a bit more light & encourage them to grow even more before they decide to flower & be done for the season.

I've not yet dug out my kitchen scale, so I don't know how much I harvested, but this handful was the smallest of 3 that I brought in from both plants. In a few days, I'll head back out to tidy up the stems a bit more - clean out any left over bits sticking out & to double check that I've gotten the largest leaves. There might even be enough I can cut again to make another kale salad.

No comments: