Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Spring Veggie: Pickled Asparagus

 I've fallen behind in my garden journaling; partly due to the harsh weather we've had this last month & also partly as I've purchased a new computer & am still adjusting to new programs & not being able to use the older ones with the new technology.

So, I've not yet figured out how to shrink my photos & that might prove to be an issue with some people viewing the posts. I'm working on it.

But today, seeing as it is now officially Spring, I decided to preserve some spring veggies  for eating later in the season when they are not as fresh.

Pickled Asparagus!!

They were on super-sale, so I picked up a few bundles of nice thick & crisp stalks. We like our pickles tart & tangy, so I decided to use very little of the pickling spice blend you can find in grocery stores. I think I need to create my own blend this year...

Into the jars went some crushed garlic, a California bay leaf, some ginger slivers & peppercorns. I broke the dried up ends of the asparagus off & then snapped the stalks in half. I put an equal amount of spear tops & spear bottoms into each jar, making sure that the top pieces were not too tall & below the neck of the jar. (the jars I used are the 500 ml jars - preferably the wide mouth ones)

I made sure to really cram the spears in the jar & if there was enough room (there always is) I put in some wedges of onion. I love pickled onion so try to ensure that whatever I'm pickling, there is onion in each jar.

My vinegar blend was equal parts white vinegar & water (in this case 4 cups of each) with about a tablespoon of the pickling spice you find in stores. I don't like how sweet it is, so don't add any extra sugar. I put in about 3 tablespoons coarse salt & then got a little funky with some powdered galangal & lemon grass.

Once the water bath was ready & the vinegar blend hot & well seasoned, I poured the hot liquid into the jars, sealed them up & put them in the water bath for almost 10 minutes. They are now cooling on the counter & will sit in the pantry for a few weeks before I test them to see if they remained crunchy & have that mustardy-lemony-garlicy flavour I was aiming for.


No comments: