Tuesday, August 2, 2016

What a Crock...

So, I ran out of jars when making pickles this weekend but had a back-up plan for that remaining amount of pickling cucumbers.

Why not try my hand at fermenting them?

I picked up a 5 gallon crock - something I've been looking at for a while.

The idea is to let the cucumbers sit in a cool place in the brine & slowly bubble & ferment into crunchy goodness. Since I make lots of fruit wine, I understand the concept of fermentation quite well, but this is done with vinegar & not sugar, so we shall see what happens.

I made again the simple brine: 4 cups water, 2 3/4 cups vinegar & 1/3 cup salt. I chopped up some onion & garlic & the remaining dill. The seasonings I layered on the bottom, sliced the tips off the cucumbers (which I'm leaving whole for this experiment) and layered them on top. I had enough to do 2 layers of seasonings and cucumbers.

Then I poured on top the brine - which I did not boil, but stirred til the salt was dissolved.

I put a clean plate on top of the cucumbers to ensure they remained below the liquid level (weighted down with clean jars full of water) & put the lid on the crock.

I'll check on it in a couple days to see what's going on in there, but it will live in the garage beside the freezer where it is cool and out of the way. I'm sure I could toss in other veggies for a quick pickle too - like beans and carrots...

Will let you know how this one works out too!

No comments: