Wednesday, June 17, 2015

When Life hands you Frozen Berries

~ big ol' bucket of wine ~
Last year the berry harvest was incredible... I made lots of jams & jellies & a couple batches of wine & STILL had enough berries in the freezer to make another batch of wine.

Which is what I need to do now that we are fishing once again. There is limited room in the freezer & I rather like using up what I have before it goes bad or turns or starts to take on the flavours of the freezer... which is why I try to have 2 freezers: one for the fish & one for the berries.

So, this is the start of Blackberry wine with a hint of Raspberry. It's actually a great time of year to start the wine as it will take until Christmas to mature & mellow.

I'll keep you updated as to how it is coming along.

Recipe: 22 lbs fruit, 13 lb sugar, water to fill just past the 5 gallon mark, wine yeast. If you want, add the other components involved in making wine but I like to keep it simple, uncomplicated & I rarely have issues. Besides - it doesn't stick around too long once it's ready for drinking!! Great way to start the summer season!!

No comments: