Wednesday, May 27, 2015

What's in your Veggie Beds?

~ garlic ~
 We have lots of 'high cloud' - which makes taking photos difficult sometimes. Things are GREEN out here, so they all sort of blend in together...

While I've just planted (oh so late for me!) my new greenhouse beds, I do have other garden beds that have been planted, need to be replanted & are producing on a slow & steady level.

The garlic bed is being watered regularly right now, but in a few weeks I'll remove the drip line & allow the plants to dry in preparation for harvest. From the size of the stalks, it looks like I will have some large garlic this year!
~ potato ~

My potato bed has mustard greens growing that self-seeded from last year. I'm certainly not going to complain about those fresh greens growing wild!! Just means that I'll have to eat more of them...

The sage plant at the end of the bed is almost in full bloom - I'll harvest those stalks in the next week or 2 after the bees have received their full measure of sage pollen.
~ lettuce & greens ~

My other lettuce & greens bed looks like it did not like the return to cool temperatures & I'll have to go through most of the seedlings, remove those that are sending out flower shoots. They will not grow any more & can be eaten - roots, stalks & all.

This will allow me room to pop in other seeds to fill the holes & keep the production up for the season. Might consider planting winter greens here...

~ rose in veggie bed ~
My last veggie bed - the deepest one - has been a 'cutting bed' for a few years. Every time someone gives me a cutting of one of their plants, this is the bed I would put them into in order to develop roots.

Well, the bed is now overwhelmed with roses (such as this dainty little white rose) & hydrangeas & other odds & sods...

I have some transplanting projects ahead of me in order for me to prepare this bed for planting... I might be ready towards the end of the season, so maybe garlic in this bed in the fall is an easy solution & will allow me the time to transplant & move things around without too much damage to the current plants. It's really not a very good time of year to move plants around too much unless a proper watering schedule is in place to help re-establish the plants in their new homes.

No comments: