Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Rewards of Growing Rhubarb - Part 1

~ rhubarb harvest ~
 Today I harvested my 2nd batch of rhubarb & am looking forward to a few more harvests as the plants are looking very healthy.

I picked the smaller & more tender stalks from my plants as I found a new recipe that I wanted to try out: rhubarb pickles!

Recipe:
* 1 tsp juniper berries
* 1 tsp allspice berries
* 1 tsp coriander seeds (I used cumin)
* 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
* 1 shallot - halves (I used garlic)
* 2 bay leaves (mine were fresh)
~ rhubarb pickles ~
* 2 star anise
* 1 cup rice vinegar
* 1 cup water
* 1/2+ sugar
* 1 tsp kosher salt
* 1 1/4lb fresh rhubarb stalks

Crush the juniper, allspice, coriander & peppercorns in a mortar & pestle. Transfer to a medium saucepan & add all the other ingredients except the rhubarb. Bring to a boil & reduce to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes.

Cut the rhubarb to fit vertical in your jar. This recipe will make 2 1-pint jars or 1 large jar, such as I've used. Slide your rhubarb into the jar & pour the spice blend over top. Cool.

They are ready after 1 week in the fridge & can last up to 2 or 3 months - if you can leave them be!! This is a wonderful addition to salads (try beets with spicy arugula) or served on cheese or charcuterie plate. It would also be wonderful with smoked fish & pates.

I can hardly wait!!

Right now though, I have a berry rhubarb maple crisp in the oven with coconut & citrus.... pass the ice cream!!

No comments: