Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Stepping Away from the Gardens - a Short Break

~ July 28 ~
The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a whirl-wind of activity - mostly away from the gardens; which can be a good thing as the gardens can take care of themselves for short periods of time.

I headed out for a bit of salmon fishing - right out the mouth of the harbour! The fishing season is a bit slow to start (just like the gardening season out here), but I had a couple great trips & landed a couple very nice Chinook salmon.
~ August 4 ~
Being able to catch fish & then bring it home for smoking &/or canning is another one of my joys of living out here.

Because this is the busy season, I've just popped the fish into the freezer for processing later in September & October when things slow down in the gardens & with the berries & work.

I hope to get out for a few more trips - maybe try my hand at halibut or at least land a ling cod or a few rock fish.

Being out on the water allowed me to gain a new appreciation for how the gardens can take care of themselves without me. That's a good thing! Now, the potted plants up on the deck... that's another (sad) story best left alone. I think I've already shared with you how neglectful I am of plants out on the deck...

No comments: