Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Another Way of Preserving the Harvest

 I'm working on emptying out the berry freezer - well, ok - I need room for more salal & the blackberries are just starting to ripen & it's a 'perfect' year for blackberries, so I want to stock up on lots.

My loganberry patch gave me a very abundant crop this year - I'm sure I could sit down & figure out an approximate number of pounds of berries I harvested, but I know for sure that today, I used 22 pounds of berries in my recipe for making loganberry wine. A wonderful way to preserve excess bounty!!

I use a very, very simple method: berries, sugar, water & wine yeast.

That's it.

I don't like adding all the other items (chemicals, other additives, clarification aids...). I like to keep it simple & tasty. The flavour of my wines are different with each batch I brew - all based on the fruit themselves.
This evening, I boiled up several kettles of water, mixed in the sugar & put the berries into the berry bag. I have a heating belt on my fermentor & tomorrow, I am going to measure the specific gravity (well, the sugar content - which tells me what potential alcohol level I may expect in the finished product) & I will add the wine yeast.

In about 7 to 10 days I will remove the berries & siphon the fermenting juice into a carboy & let that sit for several months. Hopefully by Christmas I will be bottling this wine & able to enjoy in January.

A great flavoured wine - tart & refreshing. Great served over ice with a wedge of lemon or lime. Most certainly a summer wine. Since I've got this one started early this year, I'll have plenty of time to focus on harvesting more blackberries & salal & might have enough to make those into wine as well!

It's a great year for berries!! Hope you are out there enjoying fresh picked berries!

No comments: