Saturday, July 5, 2014

Clary Sage in Bloom

~ Salvia sclarea - Clary Sage ~
 I've used Clary Sage as an essential oil for a few years - it's an interesting scent - not quite like culinary sage... so I thought I would try it as an ornamental.

I picked up some seeds last spring & started them in the greenhouse. Eventually I remembered to plant them out in the gardens & it is so interesting to see how some have done amazingly well - as pictured here - while others are barely more than a set of leaves above the soil. I definitely have soil health issues...

They bloomed just a few days ago - not much scent in the flowers, but they are interesting to look at!

~ Salvia Sclarea ~
As long as your soil is well drained & not too acidic (as is the case with our west coast soils!), this predominantly Mediterranean plant should survive through Zone 5 winters. Prune in the spring & after flowering.

With proper maintenance, the plants should last up to 5 years before requiring replacement. I take cuttings each spring to propagate in the greenhouse as insurance for the ones I may loose during the year - especially now that we have ducks who love to sit on top of herbs...


"How can a man grow old who has sage in his garden?" Ancient Proverb

No comments: