Thursday, July 17, 2014

Adventures with Ducks - Sow it, Grow it, Watch Someone Else Eat it...

~ Percy & Horatio find Food ~
 Well, my blessed, darling ducks have continued to provide me with a constant source of amusement & frustration.

They love their greens so much that they are now helping themselves to the greens I have growing in my raised beds.

One particular bed is doing extremely well this year & has peas, Swiss chard, borage, runner beans, squash & a variety of herbs, all crowded in tightly in a confined space.

Percy & Horatio have shown the twins where this lovely bed is & they have nibbled on all the leaves that stick tantalizingly close to the edge of the raised bed. And it's a tall bed...
~ Duck Barrier installed ~

I spent my morning stapling small sized wire mesh around the top edge of the beds to discourage their hungry & curious bills from ripping everything out.

But Horatio proved to be a smarter duck than anticipated... he saw a pea leaf leaning towards the outside edge of the bed & he just simply jumped higher than the barrier & ripped the whole pea plant out over top...
~ Duck Barrier installed after the Destruction ~

I wasn't quick enough on one of the other beds. All 4 ducks managed to rush over & have a 'pea hauling' feast before anyone realized just what they were doing. It looks like my pea harvest this year will NOT be shared with the ducks, as previously anticipated.

Let's see if I still have time to resow something in the now barren beds & grow some food to feed me...


~ Never turn your back on a duck ~
I caught all 4 of them in the greenhouse - do they look guilty to you?? I shooed them out before they could get in-between the tomatoes & peppers & sit on the rosemary & do massive destruction... Trust a duck... I don't think so...

No comments: