Saturday, April 5, 2014

Adjusting the House & Occupants

 Finally found the time & hardware to properly install at least one of the mason bee houses. Looks so much better without the bungee cords keeping it attached to the tree.

It will stay in place til late October (weather dependent) & then I'll remove it & take out the trays to see if the bees laid eggs this year.

Last weekend I bought 2 more little boxes of cocoons - 15 females & 5 males in each & this time I popped them in the fridge for a couple of days because I wanted the houses installed before I introduced the bees.

Well, as you can see, after I attached the little boxes, I opened up the end & voila! a male had hatched already & was waiting to come out. I'm so glad I pulled them out of the fridge on this day! Could you imagine opening your fridge & having bees fly out at you??

Bee well, little bees - the berry bushes are starting to pop flowers that need pollinating!

No comments: