Monday, March 31, 2014

Pepper Pots

~ pretty pepper plants in a pot ~
On a cool & slushy kind of day in February (the 23rd to be exact) I seeded my peppers & put them on my heated bathroom floor to encourage sprouting. I was rewarded with an almost 100% germination rate!

They have been doing very well in the south facing, albeit cool, window underneath some reading lights.

I'll probably top up the pots with a bit more soil to help prop up the plants til its time to move them into the greenhouse for a few weeks before transplanting them into larger pots or straight into the greenhouse bed.

14 plants are a lot of plants, but my 'PLAN' was to build mini hothouses on the deck with some recycled windows I was given last fall. I'm not sure if that is going to happen in time this year, but it is on my 'to-do' list & would be a great way to grow peppers. They require so much more heat than my tomatoes do & I'd like to have 2 separate growing areas for them so that I can focus on each one instead of trying to make them share & get the best of both worlds.

Now if I could only grow basil like this....

No comments: