Friday, December 13, 2013

Christmas Crafts - Challenge 2

~ construction in winter sunshine ~
 Christmas Craft Challenge - making a Christmas tree.

For years we have been on the search for the 'perfect' tree - either a real tree cut from a Christmas tree farm or a potted tree to be planted in the spring or even a (dreaded) fake tree.

I won't bore you with the ethics behind any of the choices you have made in your own personal quest for the 'perfect' tree as this is not what this post is about. The 'perfect' tree is a myth...but I just may have brought some mythical magic into my home this Christmas season!

Now I neglected to take photos of the initial construction phase - mostly because it was just too hideous to try & imagine what the final product was going to look like, but I had stumbled across an idea of constructing my own tree using tomato cages & greenery...

~ tree installed in house ~
What I did on this gloriously sunny winter day was to take 3 tomato cages, flip them upside down & tie them together to create a tall cage-form to which I could then tie on cedar boughs. The top cage I cut a bit smaller & bent the top over to resemble a Dr. Seuss tree as this was more in character with how I am feeling this year.

The cedar boughs, wonderfully enough, were in the ditch just across the road & left-over from when we had the trees in the road allowance topped in late summer to allow more sun light in the afternoon hours. They are remarkably still green & pliant. It took an hour to gather & cut the greens & dry off & remove any debris they had picked up while in the ditch.

~ tree ready for viewing ~
Then, for the next 2 hours, I started at the bottom & tied bundled of greens along the cage, working my way to the top. The greenery hangs down & sweeps out in a wispy fashion...oooo, so pretty...

The tricky part was the decorating. I think next year when I do this (& YES, I will be rebuilding my Christmas tree each year!) I will string the lights on the cage prior to tying on the greenery. And invest in some ornament hooks. And, if I'm really ambitious, add another tomato cage to make it taller!! We have really high ceilings & I want it to reach up-up-up!


No comments: