Friday, December 27, 2013

A New Season of Flavours

~ thawed raspberries on the stove ~
I've been watching a lot of cooking shows on TV lately...all late at night, which leads to interesting experiments in the kitchen the following day after dreaming of new flavours all night long.

Today's Kitchen Experiment: Raspberry Mustard dipping sauce.

I have a lot of raspberries in the freezer - it was a bumper year for me & I'm looking for new things to try with the berries.

~ grainy mustard ~
I got up at 5 this morning to take the raspberries out of the freezer - yup - dreamed of this recipe all night long...

Cook the raspberries with sugar (2:1 or 3:1 ratio of berries to sugar, depends on how sweet you want the end result) til mixture thickens up slightly (15 minutes).

Throw in a couple tablespoons of grainy mustard or Dijon if that's all you've got. Or a mix of the two.
~ raspberry mustard dipping sauce ~
Jar it up & let cool. It should thicken up slightly once fully cooled. Taste & adjust flavouring with hot sauce, red pepper jelly or even some honey.

This is going to be great on chicken or with roast pork (might add sage if doing it with pork). The original recipe I saw this with was as a dipping sauce for fries cooked with duck fat & served with shredded duck meat....

(we had duck for Christmas dinner & I'm craving more...)

The hubby just had some with the tourtiere turnovers we made yesterday (see recipe here) & I think he approves...

No comments: