Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Something Strange This way Blooms

~ flowering in mid-November ~
Years ago I was given a plant from some neighbours who claimed it was either a papaya or an avocado - I can't recall which one they said. It lived in my house for many years & then, when we built the new house, I just didn't have the space inside for it & thought I'd see what it would do outside.

I planted it on the North East corner of the house. It has been 5 years now & I'm pretty sure the plant is well over 7 feet tall. I do nothing with it - no fertilizer, no mulching, no proper watering, no pruning.

I want to see what this thing can do!

 What it's doing now, is flowering.

It flowered last year, but I think there are more flowers this year. I'm trying to figure out if they have scent, but at this time of year, there are lots of wonderful smells outside & I can't quite reach the blooms to get my nose right in there.








 
I'll have to keep track of these & work harder this year on proper identification. I get side-tracked when trying to identify something I've had for years & have been trying to id for years - it will eventually let me know what it is...

...but if you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it!


No comments: