Saturday, September 14, 2013

Colours in the Fall Garden - Part 2

~ marigold ~
 Another great colour in the Fall Garden are the yellows & oranges & the best of these (at least in mine) are the marigolds.

LOVE-LOVE-LOVE marigolds! Yes, even their strange & strong scent.

I also found out that you can feed marigold petals to your ducks & it will make the yolks a deeper, richer yellow/orange colour & probably give them a boost in minerals or vitamins...

~ marigold ~

~ tiger lily & Helenium ~
The tiger lilies did very well this year - I've been saving all the little pips from in between the leaves & planting them helter-skelter around the property. It may take a few years, but they eventually grow large enough bulbs to start producing flowers & more pips. (not a very technical term)

These tall & skinny plants fit in between the other plants & can add texture & height to the fall garden. I did it initially to hide the flowers from the deer, but now that I don't have to worry about the flower-munchers, I can expand my planting of lilies.

No comments: