Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Thanksgiving Weekend

~ blackberries & raspberries ~
What a wonderful weekend here on the West Coast! We've had record amounts of sunshine & warm temperatures but unfortunately also record lows for rainfall. Right now there are developing concerns for the fish returning to dry streams, creeks & rivers to spawn... many of us have high hopes for the return of the rains, even though it means the end to our glorious Autumn weather.

So, while the weather continues to be more like summer than summer actually was, I'm outside for as long as I can. I'm in the midst of one of the best Autumn harvests of raspberries that I've ever seen - they are actually larger than the blackberries that are still on the canes!

I've made this observation before, but it's even more noticeable at this time of year: the birds are not eating the fruit. There are so many blackberries that are inaccessible to picking by humans that I thought the birds would be gobbling them up like mad and usually the Stellar Jays are into my raspberries at this time of year too. But I haven't noticed any of this activity going on. Unusual...

This weekend was a great time to be outdoors, cleaning up the beds, making note of what needs a bit more care, where I need to add more soil & to see what is still producing. I planted a bunch of things that have been sitting in pots for a few months to a few years. (a ginko tree, a mystery maple, a wild rose, lots of lavender) Unless the rains come soon, I will need to water daily to ensure they get established a bit in their new homes & are able to survive. I'll have to take pictures when the light is better - by the time I was finished yesterday, the light had gone. It was one of those days where you just HAD to sit still in the late afternoon light & watch the insects flying around, listen to the birds & enjoy the work accomplished.
~ late afternoon light ~

No comments: