Tuesday, June 12, 2012

New Visitor

~ net-winged beetle ~
Yesterday I bumped into something new in the gardens. This lovely beetle was caught in a spider web & it's the first time I've seen one in my yard.

It's quite fascinating to see new & interesting things appearing in the gardens & it seems more & more are making themselves known as the gardens start to fill in & mature.

The net-winged beetle is quite possibly a nectarivore - meaning it consumes nectar from plants. I wonder if this means it also aides in pollination as a minor side-affect. Could it possibly be consuming smaller insects too?

Either way, it's a very interesting beetle & quite large - about 15 mm long & very visible.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I have never seen one like that. It certainly makes itself visible....

http://www.flowersforums.com/ruth/blog/