Saturday, April 14, 2012

Compost "Plus"

~ celery ~
Compost sometimes does strange things. Sometime those strange things are unsightly & smelly, but sometimes the bounty brought on by using compost is a double bonus!

I'm an avid composter - I compost things from work & bring it home with me & sometimes that's only coffee grounds at the end of the week, or sometimes it's a 5 gallon bucket every 2 or 3 days. I love it all!

With this lovely spring sunshine & warmer temperatures, some of the compost I've put out on my rhubarb has given me a nice surprise. It won't actually die & compost down...

The bok choy in the previous post was my first indication of the early bounty I could realize. If the 'bum' ends of certain veggies were to be 'planted', than I could eat fresh food quicker & for less money.
~ romaine ~

The celery & romaine lettuce were 'rescued' from the compost around my rhubarb just yesterday & planted in the yet un-seeded section of my veggie bed. I should have been doing this all winter!!

We shall see what happens over the next few weeks. In the mean time, I'll continue to put my kitchen scraps around the rhubarb & into the nearly full compost tumbler & see what other surprises are in store.

No comments: