Sunday, January 29, 2012

Is is a Science Experiement?

 Well, I returned late last night from our 'time away' & thought it would take a few days to get back into the swing of things around the house.

My husband went into the office & called me down to take a look at my pear wine.

It looks like I'm conducting some sort of Weird Science experiment!!

Before we left for our 'time away', we unplugged the heating belt & I'm pretty sure the room heater was down so the room itself would have been pretty cool (5 degrees Celsius?) [yes, I know, the glass carboy should not have a heating belt on it]

 There is still action going on - bubbles at the top of the...you know, I don't even know what to call that stuff that's in there!!

I'm wondering if this reaction is due to the cool temperatures? We have the baseboard heater turned up now that we are back home.

I'm also wondering if this reaction is due to the corn sugar I used for this batch. I've never used just corn sugar when making wine & it was a matter of timing, ingredients on hand & the opportunity to experiment that caused me to try it.

 The carboy looks like I'm preserving some sort of strange creature - isn't this what formaldehyde looks like?

The liquid is nice & clear - one of the clearest I've ever had & I really want to siphon out the liquid into a clean carboy. I dare not move the carboy til I find out if I can do this, but it's not really situated in a very good spot to work with - it's on the laminate floor in the office...
The mass inside looks pretty solid - almost like soggy bread. I took the air lock off to smell the contents, but there wasn't any mal-odours emanating from inside, so I stoppered it back up again.






If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I would love to hear them! I really don't want to dump out the whole batch - pear wine is so wonderful once it's aged.

1 comment:

Michelle's Green Thumb said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

A friend shared an idea that it might be Kombucha... after reading through this page, I'm a little hesitant to go this route, but others commenting on my FaceBook picture/plea have suggested that I might indeed be brewing up a big batch of vinegar!!

Eeek!! Will attempt a siphon-rescue & see what happens over the next while. I will accept pear vinegar, but would prefer the wine.