Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Life in the Greenhouse

I shut down the tomatoes & pepper plants a few weeks earlier this year than last year, mainly because the tomato plants wouldn't stop growing but had stopped producing fruit. Plus it was a nice day when I decided to do it.

I threw on some potting soil from some of my deck pots to top up the soil level & then decided to throw in some radish seeds that had disappointed me in the veggie beds earlier this year.

I don't know what I was expecting, but when I checked in on the greenhouse today, I saw a field of green sprouts! 'Tis a wonderful feeling to see green things popping up when everything else seems to be finished for the year.

I will hopefully have some radishes to munch on in a few weeks or I might snip a few sprouts to eat right away or I might just leave the whole mess to 'do its thing' over the winter as a cover crop & turn it under in late winter to enrich the soil.

It's fun to see what happens when neglect has become my new approach to garden therapy...

No comments: