Monday, October 24, 2011

I Be Jammin'... part 2

Yesterday I was seeking inspiration in a serious way & spent more time than necessary searching on the Internet.

What I found was a great idea for something new in my jam pot: Strawberry Jam with Balsamic Vinegar & Cracked Black Pepper!

Since I don't grow my own strawberries, I thought I would try it with loganberries. But lo & behold, I found a container of frozen strawberries in the freezer!!

So, I did a mix of loganberry & strawberry with 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (the recipe called for 1/2 cup, but I didn't want to use up all of the vinegar I had in stock) & then 1 Tbsp cracked black pepper.

The result is a jam that isn't quite as sweet as strawberry nor quite as tart as loganberry & the vinegar is barely noticeable (the variety I have is lusciously sweet & rich) so you end up with a sweet smile on your face before the pepper bites you back.

It's not offensive at all & would probably not be something to eat with peanut butter. Would go with cheese & crackers & a lovely crisp white wine. A jam not for the faint of heart.

No comments: