Monday, October 31, 2011

Fruit Wine - Part 1

I sometimes shake my head when people express a theory that gardeners are patient people. I don't know where this idea comes from & it certainly does not pertain to me - I'm one of the least patient people I know, especially when it comes to things in the garden or things I do with my gathered harvest.

Today's case in point: making fruit wine.
In order to feel like my work is worth-while, I make 5 gallon batches of wine (versus 3 gallons or smaller), which forces me to make sure I have enough berries & fruit harvested & in the freezer.

Today I managed to stuff 18 pounds of thawed blackberries & 5 1/2 pounds of thawed rhubarb into the berry bag, dissolve just over 12 pounds of sugar into the juice & water & add the wine yeast to the 'brew pot'.

Now I have to wait - will it start to ferment?
Each day will require a stirring & mashing/beating of the berry bag & a measuring with the hydrometer to see how things are progressing.

I think I'll be lucky if I'm drinking this by the end of March... This is a serious test of patience, especially during the winter months but the results are worth it!

1 comment:

Aleta said...

I like you blog ! It reminds me of all my gardening when I was raising my children in mid-Michigan in the 80's. I still like it, but only do a little "flower bed garden". Keep up the good work - and I'll be back for more reading.