Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Deck Tomato Demise

This is that time of year where I find some serious digging around the garden is necessary. Those plants that aren't doing so well & are looking more dead than not...well, are they really going to turn around & 'get better'? I doubt it, so I do the difficult deed of yanking them out. I'd rather compost them & have an empty spot in the gardens instead of looking at unhealthy or unhappy or plain dead looking plants.

Today I 'did the deed' with my deck tomatoes.

Ya...These are definitely not happy looking plants.

I can think of a few reasons for this:
1) Pots are not big enough for the plants,
2) I wasn't vigilant enough with watering,
3) I wasn't vigilant enough with feeding,
4) This just wasn't the summer for having tomatoes grown outside on the deck (too cool, cloudy & damp).

I also learned a few things about the difference between determinate & indeterminate (bush vs vine) tomatoes. I think I'll stick with bush tomatoes from now on as the vine variety just wanted to grow taller & taller & didn't want to set fruit.

Also, I think the deck is a little too breezy for most of the things I want to grow up here - I love the amount of space, but being on the 2nd storey & having pretty much a constant wind blowing things around probably stressed them out & dried them out that much faster. Putting something under them to hold the water that didn't want to soak up into the soil would have been a good idea too...

Right now I'm keeping only 3 of the 5 plants - as they are the ones with fruit & I'll have to find somewhere to hang them today to see if the fruit will ripen.

About half the tomatoes fell off when I cut the plants down - they are rotting from the stem.

~sigh~

I'll have to see what happens with the monsters in the greenhouse this month. They are in much better shape, but have outgrown the greenhouse & are in need of some serious pruning, which might help ripen whatever fruit they've decided to grow...which isn't much.

At least the deck doesn't look so depressing now!!

No comments: