Friday, June 3, 2011

Rainy Day(s)

I really should call it 'Rain Season' as it sometimes doesn't feel like we will ever get sunny weather... Of course, I'm writing this on the day after a dull & dreary day - but at least I got out there for a look around & was amazed by how much wanted to jump up & bloom!

The gunnera just might decide to become monsters this year - well, at least this one, which is a 'cutting' we got last year. I recommend for those who are interested in growing these tropical plants to get a cutting from someone (people are always looking at getting rid of a section or 2 in February or March). We bought one from a nursery - not too expensive at only $15 - but it is very wimpy compared to this one. I might even have to resort to giving it fertilizer for the next couple of years til it settles in!!

grrr....

But I was wondering if gunnera have separate male & female flower stalks. These 2 are very dissimilar - again, add this to my list of 'need to research' items...



The currants are hit or miss with me - except for my neighbour's of which I will go & pick towards the end of the currant season just because I'm so upset that mine don't produce. These are outside the deer fencing & I'm surprised they are still on the shrub. I'm not sure they like the cold weather, but it's good to see the shrub can actually produce fruit. Now, ripening it will become the next challenge...

Mystery shrubby-tree. I'll have to dig out my West Coast plant i.d. book & sit down for a talk with this one. I have high hopes that its some sort of wild apple or crab apple, but I don't recall if there are fruit on the shrubby-tree. Than again, this is the first year I've really noticed the flowers...

I was given a rhododendron last year from a friend who was doing some massive landscaping renovations. I'm not sure how old the plant is, but it stands only about 5 feet tall. I did actually research on how to plant it & have babied it over the winter. It's got quite a few sickly looking leaves, so I was surprised to see that it decided to put out a flower! I do enjoy this colour - very subtle. Looks like another plant that might need a few years of fertilizing to recover from the transplanting shock.

Valerian - I thought it was rue, don't know why! I spend my winter hours creating maps & garden plans for how I will plant in the spring. I take these maps out with me when I do the planting, but I think I get carried away & deviate from the map & forget to write it down. I also throw out all my empty seed packages before I take the time to record any pertinent information. Hence, I lose plants.

Now, I have no idea why I would plant Valerian (other than for a sleep aid, but I'm not about to start experimenting on myself with that!!) - it's also like catnip for kitties. I thought that I had planted something that was a cat DETERRENT!! Maybe that's why I was calling it rue... I don't know, I don't recall & I can't find my notes from last year - I think I threw them out...

I thought I had lost all my flag iris after transplanting them like crazy over the last couple of years. But they are just very late in sending out blooms. I found my blue patch yesterday & today I will go in search of the white ones. I think they are hiding in the grass & under some brambles...


I'm so glad I ventured outside yesterday during a break in the rain - I found the yellow iris in bloom! I absolutely love them!! I know I moved a whole bunch of them around the yard last year, so I wasn't sure if I would see any in bloom this year. They are very tall & have many blossoms on the stalks. With the sunshine today, I think more will open up for me.

Can't wait to get out there & get my hands & knees dirty!

No comments: