Monday, May 30, 2011

Green Things in the Greenhouse - Part 4

Ok - I'm starting to just wander aimlessly through the gardens, looking for things to do (other than pull weeds & grass & brambles). I'm stuck in that limbo time of where everything is planted - either seeds or seedlings - & I must now wait for something to happen.

Either things will start to grow, or I will have to start all over again.

At least the greenhouse has visible signs of progress. Well, to me it does - but if I keep making weekly reports, people are going to start to get tired of seeing the same close up shots of plants doing their green, leafy thing. But I can't help myself this week - I'm stuck in limbo & have not enough energy to tackle the next rock & soil sorting job. Besides, it's too wet & the bugs are thick. I also think I'm starting to develop allergies to something that pollinating like crazy - itchy, itchy, itchy!

So, here goes with the Green Things in the Greenhouse - again:


I love that I have a proper raised bed in here - sure it's small, but my 4 tomato plants love it & so does the lettuce. I'm not sure what the peas are going to do, I would have thought they'd be in full bloom at this height...

I've drowned a few slugs - the small ones, not the gigantic banana slugs most people see here on the wet coast. The small ones do lots of damage, but the greenhouse is pretty dry & I'm checking almost daily.


This is the first pea bloom - way up at the top of the plant. The peas in the garden are about the same size as the beans... Might not get much of a pea harvest this year. Will have to look into trying for some in the fall or early winter.

Now the tomatoes are starting to show lots of promise! The first flowers to open & nary a pollinator to be seen. I try to leave the door open for a few hours each day, but the weather just won't warm up! Will I really have to resort to using a q-tip to pollinate these??

The funny thing about veggies is what you find in your fridge that has been reduced to a state of mushy goo contained within plastic wrap. We've not been eating cucumbers of late & yet I have 8 plants on the go. Mind you - they are lemon cucumbers, so will be small & lovely, unlike the very boring Long English, which I've grown very tired of unless they are mixed with a bit of rice vinegar & Saki...

How many fruit does one pepper plant produce? I have no idea as I've never actually seen them being grown out here. I'm sure I have neighbours who do grow them & I'd surely like to know a whole lot more about them.

What would I do if all 9 plants were supremely prolific? Well, I've already decided I will roast them up & can them... mmm... but more than likely, I'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 fruit per plant.

And just the other day I finally transplanted the last of my basil into larger pots. I now have 15 pots of basil with 3 to 4 plants per pot. A little too much?? Well, considering I have 9 tomato plants, I hope not! Plus, basil olive oil is so lovely in the middle of winter.

Yes, the greenhouse smells heavenly when I head out there for a few moments each day to talk to the plants & see how they are doing. Now - what's up with the rest of the gardens??

1 comment:

colvillea said...

Totally fascinating Michelle. I'm on the other side of the Pacific Ocean in a tropical climate and it's really interesting to see what you can grow. Your place is a credit to you....