Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patty's Day - Time to Plant some Peas!

Well, I just checked the soil temperature in my raised beds & today it is between 6 and 9 degrees Celcius. That's up from only 1 degree Celcius on February 28th! Shows what a good layer of leaf mulch & some plastic can do.

But that's still a bit chilly for planting seeds. Even some of the early ones (other than onions) prefer a bit warmer temps & a whole lot more sunshine. Plus, the rains that we've been getting lately would just be too much punishment. My plastic system needs some work - it mostly just sits on the top of the soil & while I see things sprouting, when I move the plastic to dump the water, all that cold water flows into the beds... Maybe I'll figure it out one of these days.

Instead, I decided to plant some peas in plastic clamshells indoors. I'll move them into the greenhouse after they've sprouted & then transplant them into the raised beds when the soil temp increases a bit more.

Since I'm such a collector of things, I'm never short of items to use in cases like this. I punched holes in the bottom on a clamshell (this is what spring greens come in) & put it into a 2nd clamshell. I added some sterile potting mix, water & poked the seeds in. I added a bit more soil to the top, labeled them & loosely put the plastic lid on top & have them in my window sills.

I did plant some of the snow peas in the greenhouse at the beginning of the month, but they might need a few more days to sprout. I've got Cascadia snap peas, Mammoth Melting sugar (snow) peas & some Striped Butterfly Blend sweet peas.

I hope the sweet peas come up this year - I tried others last year (after having grand success the year before & falling in love with the silly things), but they didn't do much. Maybe I should have put the sweet peas out sooner... but with all the rain, I think they may not have remained under the soil for very long.

Well, it's a start!

No comments: