Thursday, February 10, 2011

Operation Rose Rescue

I've been threatening to do this for almost 6 months & finally took the plunge yesterday - in broad daylight. There was this magnificent rose growing in a front flower bed of a once-upon-a-time occupied house along the boardwalk at the harbour's edge. It has not been cared for in many years & is quite a stunning flower. I have no idea what kind of rose it is & after doing a whole lotta research, still don't have too much of a clue as to how to bring it back to health, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I didn't take a photo of its original home because it was just too pathetic. I had a heck of a time digging it out & am quite concerned I've already killed it because of the lack of root ball.

Yeah - that's what I got when I dug it up. There are lots of little roots up along the top & some fresh growth showing, so I hope that this spot will be where roots develop & make a come back.

I decided to grow it in a pot on my deck to keep it away from the deer & to also have the sweet smell close to where I'll notice it. I sacrificed a piece of freezer burnt salmon in the bottom of the pot as fertilizer & I'm hoping not to regret doing that for smell purposes.

Apparently, it is a very fragrant rose - this from people who know the history of the plant. The original owner is well known for being a garden guru & when someone asked to take a cutting of this rose, she agreed, only to find out later that the whole plant was taken! Many people have tried to take cuttings off the original plant & have no success. What I would like to see is this rose make a full recovery & then we can start experimenting with cuttings once we are able to figure out what species it is!

The large branch in the centre does have fresh growth on it, but I'd really like to cut it back as it sticks way out & is a bit unsightly. We shall see what this year will bring.

No comments: