Monday, November 1, 2010

Green Tomato-Strawberry Jello Jam

Yes, you are reading that correct - Green Tomato Jam? Strawberry Jello Jam??

Well, I was trying to figure out what to do with all the green tomatoes I just finished harvesting & not wanting to waste them, I researched a suggestion my mom gave me. Jam! It's a pretty basic kind of recipe: puree the tomatoes in a food processor, add sugar, cook for 15 - 20 minutes, add your flavoured jello, stir & pour into bottles.

So that's what I did:
This is the mix of puree & sugar. Doesn't look too appetizing...

This is after boiling on med-high for 10 minutes & skimming some of the scum off the top.  Still not too appetizing...

I used strawberry flavoured jello, removed the pot from the heat & stirred about a minute til it was all dissolved.
This is the final product! Looks like strawberry jam, smells like strawberry jam, tastes like strawberry jam...

The important test: my husband will eat it!!

No comments: