Thursday, September 16, 2010

Shocking New View(s)

It happens about every 3 years - the roadside mower comes along the backroads of West Bamfield to cut down the wild shrubbery along the road allowance. Sometimes she (& it is a 'she' that drives this lovely beast of a machine) comes in the spring; us berry pickers absolutely despair because then our harvest of thimbleberries & others is drastically reduced, and other times she comes in the fall, which sometimes causes us concern if she comes right at peak berry season because then the bear(s) might move in closer to our homes in search of food before winter sets in. Either way, we don't like it - for the most part...

This is what welcomed me when I came up the hill today:


What an absolute shock!

I almost cried - I have zero privacy now as you can see almost every square inch of my gardens...

I found out quite quickly once we moved into the house just how much I value my privacy & while it's nice to have people compliment the gardens, I just don't like that people feel they can talk at me every time I step outside to work! I can't even sit up on the upper deck without someone yelling up at me from the road...

This is the view from my deck:


Big, bald road...
Ugh.

The great thing about this is that I had planned on taking LOTS of cuttings this fall/winter to plant along the edge where the logs are (front property line) because I know that this road allowance clearing is done about every 3 years. Now I can finish clearing along the property line, move the logs out a bit more, get those cuttings in & have at least 3 years to get them growing strong.

I learned a trick for ensuring fast growth on cuttings - forsythia, escalonia, butterfly bush being my top choices for this year - take tall cuttings - 6 feet if you can get it & use a piece of re-bar to poke a hole down into the ground as far as you can - preferrably 3 feet & then jam the cutting in. With the rain & rather warm winters we have, they should take with very few problems. Those that don't survive the first few months can be replaced in the spring.

That's the game plan & I'm hoping for a few days with little rain so that I can get that area cleared up, remove bramble roots & debris & go on a scavenger hunt. Hope my neighbours won't mind me pruning a few branches...

1 comment:

Michelle's Green Thumb said...

Ok - so the game plan has been altered already. I'm planting Photinia - a red-tipped ever green shrub that can be trimmed to produce a hedge. The new growth comes out in red & then matures to dark green. Since red is one of my structural colours, this will do very well in the front. I will try to get some forsythia later in the month for some extra hits of colour & am on the hunt for a blood-red rhododendron at the corners.

The escalonia might be reserved for the back hedging as it's got pink flowers & there is too much pink in the front already.

Oh - and trying to jam a cutting 3 feet down is next to impossible - I was lucky to get down a foot & a half having my husband use a piece of re-bar. Lots of rocks along that front edge...

Now I'm on the hunt for sword ferns...