Sunday, August 1, 2010

Oh the Creepy-Crawlies!

I think this winter I will invest in a bug id book, which should help me figure out who & what's out there before I have another close encounter like I did yesterday.
This is a cabbage looper & I found it on the underside of the kale leaf I was about to cram into my mouth - now wouldn't that have been an extra-tastey treat!!

This is the information I found through a quick internet search:
{Insects that Will Attack Your Garden}
CABBAGE LOOPERS
These pests are extremely common and feed on many plants. They are particularly fond of cabbage,collards,cauliflower,and broccoli. The cabbage looper is smooth and green with white stripes. The caterpillars move in a looping fashion. The adult moth is a mottled brown with silver or white figure eights on the wings.The loopers are found ingesting older leaves from the underside. You must either shake the plant or turn the leaves over to dislodge these pests. They are easily controlled by hand picking and dropping them into a bucket of soapy water however some people have used kerosene. If a spray is utilized make sure to cover both the upper and lower leaves. A word of caution here loopers are difficult to control with the sprays available to the gardener. It is best to hand pick these pests.If you do have a large infestation of the looper then it is best to consult a professional.

ps - I'm trying on some new designs to the blog, so it might change a few times over the next while. Hopefully I can find one that is easy to use & easier to read!

1 comment:

Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm said...

Cabbage loopers are a real pest in my garden! I have just about given up trying to grow broccoli organically.