Thursday, August 5, 2010

If It Ain't One Thing, It's Another...

Well, the deer are back at their shenanigans... 

They arrived in the yard (for the 2nd time in the day) at 7:30 pm. The adorable buck & doe from last year's astonishing birth of twins. 

Here is the buck, ambling over to the raspberry patch, seemingly without a care in the world...

And here is the doe, without a clue as to all the hooting & hollering coming at them from the deck.

And here is my husband, after thundering down the deck stairs since the noise didn't get them moving, with a handful of rocks to convince them that our yard really isn't a fun place to hang out in.

Here's what's left of what were going to be a lovely showing of crocosmia blooms - the first good bloom since planting the bulbs a few years ago...

I rather like these clumping perennials - they have long, sword-like leaves that wave in the breeze & the flowers look almost like birds of paradise in their shape. This particular variety (haven't figured out which one it is yet), have upright blooms that start at the base of the cluster & slowly open down towards the tip.

A mature clump will produce blooms for quite a few weeks in August & make a nice addition to any floral arrangement for the house. I had no idea that the deer would eat them - especially after wandering through my neighbour's yard & noticing that the deer were pretty much ignoring EVERYTHING growing in his yard. Including the ripe blueberries. 

I feel that the deer are picking on me & the stinky-smelly deterents I've tried, just aren't working very well.

1 comment:

Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm said...

I like your blog, Michelle!
Those crocosmia are beautiful! How dissappointing to have them eaten!

I have deer too but I also have a big dog that deters most wildlife from visiting too closely.