Saturday, June 5, 2010

West Coast Gourmet Dinner - for one

I can't believe the first week of June is almost past! I have just flipped over my calendar & have so much to do now that the sunshine has returned! I had heard that in May we had only 9 days of no rain - not necessarily days with sunshine, just days without precipitation. What a soggy month!

For the last 2 1/2 days I've been frantically trying to catch up on all the yardening projects that have fallen behind or become over grown. It might take me a few more days to catch up on photos & stories. But for today, I decided to have myself a gourmet dinner - west coast style.

It's so wonderful to have fresh ingredients just steps from my kitchen & since I just purchased some fresh clams, I thought I would have a herb salad with steamed clams. The lettuce is threatening to take over my tomato patch in the greenhouse, so while the bowl looks really full, it's only a fraction of what I need to eat!

Fresh herbs: fennel, parsley, sage, rosemary, basil, dill, thyme, chive blossoms & a sorrel leaf (very tangy).

In the pot with the clams are a couple sprigs of rosemary, some lovage and French tarragon along with some herb salt.
In no time at all the clams are steamed (no white wine garlic butter sauce tonight!) and the salad is ready to eat. I added some calendula petals for a touch of colour and a nice tangy flavour. I dressed it up with some berry vinegrette & a glass of peach wine (yes, with ice cubes).

Too bad my husband wasn't here to enjoy this with me!

No comments: