Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

Well, the sun is shining today, it's Earth Day & I'm headed out to the gardens for the first time in many days. I've got a rather long list of small projects to catch up on & hopefully I can also find the time to take some photos & write about it all. Seems like April is a very busy month for gardening out here...

To start, I planted some Heritage Beans yesterday now that the soil is warming up.
These came from Salt Spring Seeds and while they are meant to be harvested as a dried bean, I will try some of them fresh as I am craving something green & crunchy. There are 6 varieties here: Six Nations (red lines/blotches on tan), Nez Perce (golden yellow), Red Hawk Kidney, Black Turtle soup, Ruckle (white) and Tanya's Pink Pod (cream/tan).

They are out in my raised beds where I tried to grow bush beans last year & we shall see how these ones do. Last year's beans didn't do so hot, which may have been because they were new gardens & the soil didn't have what the beans needed, or the seeds were just too old. My beans looked like little piggie tails - short & curled over on themselves. I hope it's not some sort of soil virus...

Now, off to plant some shrubs in honour of Earth Day, poke in some garlic bulbs (a wee bit late), and transplant my yellow zucchini into large pots & later I'll go down to the shore line to pick a few sea stars to plant under my tomatoes in the greenhouse.

But I think I should dig out the sunscreen first....

No comments: