Thursday, March 25, 2010

Potting Shed Essentials - Part 2

Ok - remember the 'little' list of essential items needed for your garden shed? I had lamented the fact that I always go through multiple pairs of gloves each year, my pruners (by Fiskars) in general, did not meet the standards I require & that I had just broken my pitch fork & rake...
Well, I've rectified the situation & this year, you will see me with a pair (or 2) of PINK pruners sticking out of my back pocket. I cannot believe I bought pink tools!! They will not be 'lost' in the garden like other tools have been & they will not be 'borrowed' by some neighbour-friend in a desperate moment of need. I'm not sure what it is about the colour pink this year, but I now own more pink shirts than any other colour & am actually contemplating buying a proper garden hat - whose colours are either beige, purple or pink... 
At least the gloves I received as a Christmas present are red & black!! Wonderful! I've actually not tried them out yet this spring - have used some cheap pairs of gloves that came with a jar of mayonnaise we bought last year. There are a lot of those gloves floating around town & I can't remember why they were included with the mayonnaise...

After much searching this weekend at every store imaginable, I finally found a pitch fork with a shaft made out of fiber glass - not wood. Wood has a bad habit of rotting & breaking out here - especially if the pitch fork is left in the compost pile over the entire winter... (oops, my bad...). The rake also has a metal shaft & hopefully I'll remember that this is NOT a heavy duty tool to use when burning huge piles of brush & brambles...

Now, the only other thing on my 'Potting Shed Essential' list is an actual potting shed...!!

No comments: