The first thing to do is inventory all my seeds to see if I need to purchase new ones this year, and to see what I managed to collect & save from last year.
My 'Left-Over' Seeds from 2009:
- Veggies: carrots, beets, radish, yellow zuchinni, corn, soybeans, asparagus, kale
- Herbs: parsley, cilantro, sage, dill, lavender, basil, summer savory, sorrel, borage, thyme, oregano & marjoram
Seeds Collected in 2009:
- Herbs: cilantro, chives, borage, red flax
- Flowers: bachelor button, yellow iris, poppies, nasturtium, sweet pea, calendula, evening primrose, hollyhock & begonia
New for 2010:
I chose to purchase some new & interesting seeds from Salt Spring Seeds this year (instead of West Coast Seeds like I had intended) & have an interesting 'Garden Challenge' ahead of me.
- Veggies: soup pea, heritage beans, Russian kale, chick peas, tomatoes, lettuces
- Grains: rye, barley, oats, wheat, golden flax, quinoa & amaranth
- Herbs: lemon bergamot, rue, valarian & yellow lavender
Now comes the fun part - figuring out where I'm going to put all of them! I know already that I will have to make some new planting sites for all the grains, but this just means removing some lawn & that in itself, is a bit of relief - the lawn mower is not a very friendly garden tool these days. I'll have to introduce you to our 'Frankin-mower' - at a later date...