Wednesday, February 10, 2010

2010 Plan - Part 1: Organize the Seeds

While gardening is supposed to be relaxing & a 'fun' hobby, I tend to fret about it each step of the way & would rather have greater success than I have so far. Hence "the Plan".

The first thing to do is inventory all my seeds to see if I need to purchase new ones this year, and to see what I managed to collect & save from last year.

My 'Left-Over' Seeds from 2009:
  • Veggies: carrots, beets, radish, yellow zuchinni, corn, soybeans, asparagus, kale
  • Herbs: parsley, cilantro, sage, dill, lavender, basil, summer savory, sorrel, borage, thyme, oregano & marjoram
This is a great start for my gardens! I had moderate success with quite a few of these so I will try them all again with a little more attention to when I plant them (either as seeds indoors or seeds in the ground {Planting by the Moon}), where I plant them (using crop rotation techniques), and how I take care of them.


Seeds Collected in 2009:
  • Herbs: cilantro, chives, borage, red flax
  • Flowers: bachelor button, yellow iris, poppies, nasturtium, sweet pea, calendula, evening primrose, hollyhock & begonia
It's the flowers that I'm interested in germinating & propagating by seed. Some of them are self-seeding & have come from neighbouring gardens. Once I can get them to start growing in my gardens, it shouldn't be too difficult to spread them around.

New for 2010:
I chose to purchase some new & interesting seeds from Salt Spring Seeds this year (instead of West Coast Seeds like I had intended) & have an interesting 'Garden Challenge' ahead of me.
  • Veggies: soup pea, heritage beans, Russian kale, chick peas, tomatoes, lettuces
  • Grains: rye, barley, oats, wheat, golden flax, quinoa & amaranth
  • Herbs: lemon bergamot, rue, valarian & yellow lavender
Other seeds purchased this year: red flax (which is really hard to find in stores) & datura (a climbing vine).

Now comes the fun part - figuring out where I'm going to put all of them! I know already that I will have to make some new planting sites for all the grains, but this just means removing some lawn & that in itself, is a bit of relief - the lawn mower is not a very friendly garden tool these days. I'll have to introduce you to our 'Frankin-mower' - at a later date...

No comments: