'A garden really lives only insofar
As it is an expression of faith,
The embodiment of hope,
And a song of praise.'
- Russell Page (1905-1985), British landscape artist and garden designer
- complete planting spring-flowering bulbs this month (if not done by November).
- supply house plants with extra humidity by grouping plants together & setting pots on beds of damp pebbles in leakproof trays.
- slip small packets of seeds gathered from special plants in the garden into Christmas cards you send to gardening friends & family.
- make a start on flower & vegetable seed orders. Keep a record of what has been ordered & note each item's proposed site in the garden.
- have mowers & power garden equipment serviced (if not done by November).
- make home-made gifts & gift baskets using herbal vinegars, oils, jams & jellies, cutneys & preserves.
- check stored fruits & vegetables & remove any that are spoiling.
- close to Christmas, gather greenery to decorate the house for the holidays. Clip shoots of needle-bearing & berried broad-leaved evergreen plants & gather deciduous shrub branches that have berries & colourful bark.
- as soon as seed orders arrive in the mail, file seed packets according to their time of sowing & store the packets in a dry, dark, cool place.